View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
The 1970s, in hindsight, turned out to have much good mainstream music that stands well as solo fingerstyle guitar pieces. At the time we were going through the 70s, I didn't realize that (though disco was an absolute travesty in my opinion and its impact on some of the music that came after is still hard to listen to with all that pounding). Leisure suits were certainly a marketing triumph, to get adult men so willing to look like used car salesmen.
Little did I know how the 70s would affect my musical taste 40+ years later. I never realized that Hot Tuna was playing Reverend Gary Davis tunes or that Asleep at the Wheel was playing Bob Wills. Plus, I was Program Director of our college radio station and got to hear gobs of music from all eras, and just about every album published between 1971-75.

And perhaps that is what was happening at that time (the 70s) - experimentation was rampant and a generation incorporated old and new music together. Very few of the groups of the late 60s had the ability to stay together, they were too young and immature; yet look at the 70s groups who still tour and still have their music being played daily.

It was an amazing era to experience firsthand.