View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
You might want to do a search here on "Tonerite" (a device to artificially vibrate the guitar) for literally reams of discussion of that very topic. My personal opinion is that it takes a while for the wood to realize that it is now a guitar and no longer a tree, so age is a big factor. But vibrations certainly help that process along, letting the wood fibers relax into their new stresses and positions. I'm not sure that just having a guitar "listen" to moderate levels of music is a big deal. The impinging sound waves would have to be quite intense and uncomfortably loud to make any substantial difference.

Sound waves hitting the guitar will cause it to vibrate slightly - you can hear this with a doctor's stethoscope. But actual vibration from a device in contact with the guitar creates levels of vibration that are orders of magnitude greater in intensity than are caused by airborne sound. This is how sound transfer works in buildings - you hear footfalls or impacts come through much more readily than airborne sounds like voices and TV audio.

Another big topic is whether guitars open up with playing, or the converse -- they close down if left unplayed. Either topic will have the same range of comments: some believe, some don't, and if you ask four people you'll likely get five opinions.
I actually think that guitars that have a satin finish or less opens up in a week or two of playing, gloss finish takes longer,. And really think that a guitar does open up during playing it in one session, if you haven't played it for awhile, but who knows might be im opening up not the gitar

Last edited by CASD57; 06-03-2019 at 05:39 PM.