View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Gretsch 6117 Double Annie w/flannel-lined silver HSC, bought new in May '64 from Silver & Horland on Park Row in NYC along with a top-panel Ampeg Rocket - paid $250 for the whole setup. Still have both, the usual Gretsch binding issues placed the guitar in semi-retirement for now; brought the amp to Dennis Kager a couple years back for a checkup, turns out it was one of the first ones he worked on when he came to Ampeg in 1964 - didn't need a thing, guys in the shop thought it was a reissue until Dennis set them straight...

That's got to be one of my all-time favorite songs - love the guitar solo at the end, but that alto sax hook gives me the chills to this day...
It still gives me chills too. I had a day job as a laboratory tech in a hospital, and a night job as a studio musician. As I'm walking down the halls of the hospital I hear someone playing the opening sax lick to "Baker Street", I walk in the room and there's a guy with red hair down to his belt wailing on his sax. His name was Raphael Ravenscroft, we hit it off, and he invited me to meet Gerry as soon as he got out of the hospital. Those were tremendous sessions!! Even though I had never heard the song, I had to be in that session!