Thread: Snarks Work!
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 09:34 AM

On the subject of Snarks, has anybody seen or know anything about the new Silver Snark that came out in September?

The price seems to hover at around $19.99 at most online sites.

The ads state it offers "Hyper-Snark Software (which) delivers faster, more precise tuning than previous Snarks." However, as with other Snark products that I have researched, there is no actual mention of the accuracy of the tuning ... which I find confusing because it supposedly offers "more precise tuning" but there is no comparison offered. It's just "better" ... that's all.

However looking at the design pics I do see one change that excites me. There are two vulcanized rubber collars, one around those fragile (to me at least) trio of pivot clamps at the bottom of the head. I've had three or four Snarks break and all of them have broken at one of those points.

I think the collar will add extra support and reduce the chance of the points breaking. In fact in another post I mentioned that I found that using a Zip tie encircling those points will help and I used that method to repair my last broken Snark.

I will be getting a Snark N-5 on Monday. I ordered that one partially because its redesigned pivot I think will be much harder to break than on the regular Snarks. However had I known about the Silver Snark I may have ordered one of that model and I'm certain my next Snark will be the Silver Snark or any Snark that has these rubber collars.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin