View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Coming along very nicely Steve, and at a nice pace too! That padauk will look very rich under finish.
Thanks Louie but your complimentary words re pace may have been spoken too soon: Tom has told me that he is just not happy with the way the top is responding now that it is braced. He doesn't think it is tapping with the sort of response that he thinks I will be looking from for the guitar so, with my permission, he has abandoned it and is fashioning another top.

He says that despite a piece of top wood looking, feeling, and tapping correctly, it always changes when the bracing is on, and you have to judge the response at each stage. He's just not happy enough with it to continue ploughing that particular furrow.

As it happens, I'm delighted. This constant attention to detail is what you want from your luthier when you commission him/her. This sort of constant scrutiny just wouldn't happen in a big shop or factory.

I'm even more confident now that the end result will be great, even if very slightly delayed.

Cheers,
Steve