View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
Nice looking Collings, and really respect your Harvey contributions, that was a real mess down south and I had quite a few friends down there get hit in different ways.

Big question, a subjective one of course. How would you describe tone wise? You've got an SJ200 shape, but Collings always bring their own thing to every shape, where they sound like a Collings (in my experience with 2, a CJ35 and DS1 that has been crisp defined notes, evenly balanced across low/mid/eye - even the Gibson inspired 35 sounded more like a Collings). OH, and what year is it?

thx!
You're right it is hard to describe tone, especially since we all hear differently based on perceptions and style etc. To me, off the cuff the things that come to mind are balanced like a really good OM, but with a bit more bottom end, but the bottom end is not a boomy bottom, a bit tighter more focused bottom. Overall, the tone is very balanced but even so, the trebles in this particular one are so crystal clear it blows my mind. Bell like, but definitely not harsh in any way, shape, or form - unlike any guitar I have owned, Collings or otherwise. Not sure if it is the Rosewood B/S + German top, or those combined with the SJ shape, but to me the tone is POWER combined with SMOOTHNESS. I've owned guitars that exuded more power and it's not like they were harsh or boomy in their power, but they just didn't also have the same kind of overall smoothness this one has along with a lot of power. It also doesn't hurt that the notes jump out of this one without much effort at all
I love it, of the Collings I have had, 002H, OM2H, OM1, CJ, this is my favorite for tone, and surprisingly comfy for an otherwise larger body shape.

Hope that helps.