View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post

The guy who's going to help me get set up is good with the Apple stuff (much much better than I am) and he says he can d/l Sierra or El Capitan on the new machine if needed. We'll figure it somehow.
I wouldn't be completely assured you'll be able to install an older MacOS on a new Mac. I don't keep up with this like I used to when I was part of a group supporting a large number of Macs running Pro Tools, but Apple used to do a couple of things to frustrate people in that situation, and I still believe they never issue drivers for any new hardware in a new model Mac for older versions of the MacOS. You'll probably be OK with one version back as I don't think your model of iMac has been updated lately.

I get the impression that Pro Tools is getting better at supporting new versions of MacOS more rapidly, and KevWind's reports from the Pro Tools user forum seems to indicate that even if it's officially not supported, you may be OK.

The only reason I'd be concerned about having enough computer for digital recording is when one uses a lot of real-time plugins and virtual instruments. Acoustic recording and the typical mixing and mastering needs of acoustic-centered musician/recordists is not very demanding.

In the old days, the curve of increased resources being needed for new versions of operating systems and applications was much steeper than it is today on personal computers. You never can tell, so "future proof" is never absolute, but within the limits of probability you should be fine.

Using an outboard Thunderbolt hard drive for recording sessions is still a great idea.

I love lots and lots of screen real-estate for digital recording and editing. I'll envy you when you get the space for the two higher than HD resolution screens!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....