View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
I’ve just past two years of playing acoustic guitar. I have a difficult time playing and singing. If I sing my playing, especially my pick hand has trouble strumming or picking correctly. I can’t seem to keep the correct strumming pattern. I also don’t seem to be able to project my voice and often find myself singing the strumming pattern instead of the correct melody. How do you sing and project your voice to the best of your ability and do your best playing at the same time and why is this so difficult for me?
There is one exception and that is Neil Young’s Old Man which I started learning early in my journey and have reached a certain level of competence playing and singing at the same time so I know it can be done.
Is this common? Are there any exercises to help? Wondering what others experiences have been like in this regard.
Print out the lyrics and then make a mark (underneath the words) for each down beat. Then you know what word you should be singing or not singing on each down beat. It will help you place the melody at the correct point in the rhythm and get your timing down.

Last edited by JMW01; 07-02-2020 at 04:23 PM.