View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 09:33 AM

Good comments, Juston.

I'll just add that I own two V Class guitars, the 717 and 814ce dlx.

The 717 wows me every time I pick it up.

The 814 is a bit more fickle. I put some 80/20s on it last week and it became way too chimey, jangly, thin. This morning I went back to EJ16s and within one song it reminded me what I loved about it when I got it.

Same with my D-18GE, except the opposite. A thick pick or the wrong strings and it's a muddy mess. 80/20s and it's woody, crisp, loud, beautiful, a lifetime keeper.

I just really think many guitars, and especially Taylors, need to be experimented with.

Out of the 28 guitars I've owned, only my Lowden has sounded great (to me) no matter the pick, string brand, or song.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
For a video that is supposed to compare the sound quality of two guitars, I’m surprised he didn’t use a proper musical recording setup. I can’t hear much of a difference between the two guitars and, in any event, it is almost impossible to assess a guitar by an internet video. My personal experience with recording is that you can completely and utterly change the sound of just about any guitar by moving the mic around.

Regardless, he’s not going to change anyone’s mind with that video, particularly since his sample size is one guitar of each brand (one of which is used). I’ve never played an Eastman but believe it’s possible they sound great. Of course, their value proposition depends 100% on cheap labor and a different standard of living.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.