View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

In my personal experience, at least one of Taylor's V-class guitars sounds great to me, and others that I have tried do not. That tells me that there is variability here, and it may depend on the choice of woods, the particular model, or whatever. To pick one guitar that has V-class and judge V-class by it seems to me to not represent the entire Taylor product line. But, then, the video the OP linked is talking about budget guitars. Maybe V-class isn't the right bracing for those instruments (?).

I can't ignore that V-class is really hyped up, but then we have seen that with other makers over time. I remember the Ovation ads, for example back in the 70s. The problem is that when there is that much hype, it sets the bar very high, which will lead to much disappointment once the reality sets in. I recall similar discussion about the Ovation "bowl" guitars vs all wood instruments. Maybe it would have been better for Taylor to simply mention that They now use V-class, but leave it to the players to add (or not), the superlatives. I suppose marketing just doesn't work that way.

I will admit that many of the V-class guitars I have now tried didn't do it for me. I was particularly disappointed with the 914ce V-class I tried. But, then, I owned an X-braced 914ce for a time and was disappointed in its sound too. I have played several 914ce, both V-class and not, and while they look really nice, for me the sound isn't up to the looks.

However, I recently played a K14ce Builder's Edition V-class guitar and it sounded astonishingly good. I bought it on the spot. Whether all K14ce models sound this good or if it is just a fluke, I have no idea since I have only tried that one. I don't see them in stores very often. Maybe it is the particular combination of "baked" Sitka top and Koa back and sides and maybe it would sound even better if it had the more traditional X-bracing. These things I readily admit to not knowing.

I became curious about the K14ce after reading an interview with Mimi Fox (jazz fans will recognize her name), where she talked about her K14ce V-class and the then new album she made (This Bird Still Flies) solo using just that guitar. To me, that model (at least the sample I played) lives up to everything she said.

All I can say is that I finally found a V-class Taylor that sounds astonishingly good, rich with deep bass and clear highs and great note separation, and a consistency all the way up the fretboard. But, then, I have played many non V-class guitars from other makers that have these characteristics. There is something about the sound of this particular Taylor, that I knew if I passed it up it would haunt me as the one that got away.

So, as to my opening sentence, I can't judge ALL V-class Taylors by this one, saying broadly that V-class sounds great. Just as I don't think one not-so-great V-class example represents all V-class instruments, neither does my K14ce. All I believe (not "know" for sure) is that there is a good possibility that there are other good ones out there too. I suppose that is the rub - if V-class is so great, why don't ALL Taylor guitars that have it, live up to the hype? With V-class, I suppose it really is a must to try before you buy. If the shop that had my K14ce had more than one to try, would they all have sounded this good? I will never know.

As for Eastman, I have liked every Eastman that I have played, so no argument there. However, I particularly like Taylor's neck and overall playability. Finding a Taylor that REALLY sounds great is something I just couldn't pass up. I have very mixed feelings about Taylor's V-class. I know of two K14ce guitars that sound great (mine and Mimi Fox's from listening to her album), but that doesn't represent all the V-class guitars I tried that simply didn't do it for me.

Edit: I wanted to add that I think we are living in a GREAT time for budget guitars. I see no reason for folks to not be satisfied for a long time with these instruments.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...