View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 11:02 PM

Cool Plywood is not tone wood???

I have several classical guitars, and there is huge difference in the richness of tone, between a double-layered and laminated rosewood. One of mine has a solid Engelmann spruce soundboard (reinforced around the hole) and with double-layered rosewood back & sides. No inside cross-bracing on the back, which is arched. The top is also arched, with an elevated fretboard, but lattice braced. Better sound than my solid cedar/solid rosewood classical.

I also have a number of steel-string all solid wood guitars, as well as a few with a solid top, but laminate back & sides, and a couple all laminate guitars. Solid wood guitars sound the best, with the solid top/laminate back & sides a very close 2nd, and the all laminate guitars placing 3rd, even though with the right strings, I can get them sounding pretty good, too. String selection can make a huge difference in the tone of any guitar.

When I first get the guitar, it's not unusual for me to experiment with several sets of strings until I get the tone I'm seeking for that specific guitar. I might end up with a different brand, or different string construction, because every guitar is different. I use the "Taylor" method for string installation, so I can remove them for use on another guitar down the road. They all sound a little different, but that's the nature of the beast. Don't lock yourself into one type of string or a single brand. When you find the right strings for your guitar, you'll know it. They will sing to you!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”