View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

My pleasure! K&K added voltage protection to their more recently manufactured microphones and the ~15v that Solstice puts out is now too much. I didn't want to be limited to what preamps I could use, so I decided to swap in an Audix L5O in place of the K&K silver bullet. I only listened very briefly to the hiss - just long enough to confirm that I was exceeding the max voltage.

To measure the voltage, you've basically got it right. Set the DMM for DC voltage in the correct range, put the black/common probe on the sleeve and the red probe on the ring. Let me know what you measure as I'm curious how your PMB-II compares to the PMB-1 units I've encountered. Good luck, the PMB is a great sounding preamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prayash View Post
Thanks Ryan, this is super helpful info! The PMB I purchased didn't seem to come with a power supply so I guess I'll be stuck buying 9v batteries forever now until something better turns up. I have my fingers crossed that this setup will work as expected because it's been kind of a money sink. I have two questions for you:

1) Was the hiss you heard at a very specific freq (like 60Hz -> 150Hz -> 180.. onto higher partials), or was it a different sort of hiss? I think mine came from the D-Tar and not the mic. Regardless it was totally unusable, and I have a suspicion it's from the D-TAR overpowering the mic. But who even knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2) How did you measure using a multimeter? I have access to one but am not sure how to go about measuring the voltage on the PMB, do you hook up a TRS cable into the stereo input and toggle the phantom power on and measure the power supplied at the tip and ring? Have a guide or a picture I can refer to for such a task (not the most electronically savvy).

Last edited by Ryan Alexander; 01-15-2019 at 07:47 AM.