View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 12:28 PM

OK, here we go with what I find to be a very interesting sequence of photos that really made me understand the amount of delicate work involved with the arm bevel. The guys did a great job of getting it in pictures. I for one am amazed at the accuracy of the work all done by hand especially the purfling channels around the arm bevel.

Anyway, I guess you can decide for yourselves if you agree. ON WITH THE PICS...

It starts with a template to draw the lines for the borders of the bevel...

Here is the bevel prep with the face marked and the tools of the craftsman laid out and ready to go....wipe nurse, please...

OK, the next is not for the feint of heart. Look at the size of the teeth in that rasp! Steve is holding it that way to allow for a down cut to avoid splintering of the expensive Italian Spruce top, some of which is turning to saw dust under that rasp!!

Now this is amazing to me...look how smooth and accurate that bevel looks all by hand. The lines on the face are to mark for the purfling channel which will be cut next:

Steve, again all by hand, is using a 1/4 inch file to channel for the purfling. How do you get that so clean by hand!!!! Artistry, craftsmanship, experience, whatever you want to call it.

Now, for the inside curves Steve said he needed something flexible to make the corners, why of course, an emery board, why didn't I think of that:

Finished arm bevel contour and purfling channel. Now seriously folks, it looks absolutely perfect, how do you do that all by hand?....I am truly impressed and I am not just trying to flatter my luthier.....he doesn't need or want that!!!

AND, last but hardly least, here is a picture of the BWB lines which is the beginning of the purfling borders:

Thanks for looking, I am very impressed with this phase, never really seeing it in complete steps like this....

Tom

Last edited by TomB'sox; 08-09-2015 at 01:18 PM.