View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Jack,
Listen to me, please.....

The sound quality I'm hearing coming through my iMac built in speakers sounds fine, but the REAL point is this: Your playing is really good, and the musical content is really good!

THAT, my friend, is the crux of the matter.

I have heard all manner of recording tests here on this forum, and other places. The majority of what I hear doesn't get me to listen to more than 30 seconds or so because the MUSICAL CONTENT is so weak, or non existent.

As long as YOU are the final arbiter of your ability to 'stand up to the microphones' and put your heart & soul on the line, then the hard part is done.

Make it a clean enough recording that you're able to take it to a good studio for all the editing and mastering.

How many people have listened to the most scratched up 78's just trying to glean one iota of the musicality they're hearing past those scratches?

Content is what it's all about, especially when it's just you and your guitar.

If you play it for someone who's listening for stereo balance, ambient noise, etc, etc...then you've already failed, or they're just not getting what you're doing.

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
Thank you Howard - this is one of my favourite posts ever! it is all about the music at the end of the day and I know that I can ignore the shortcomings of recordings if the performance and music is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarsFromMars View Post
This is good. The recording is acceptable. You can use what you have and get it mastered in a pro environment. Check with the mastering engineers available, and ask if there is anything missing, them get about doing it.
Thanks - this is my thoughts as well - record clean enough, get the performance right, then ask someone with the knowledge to mix/master it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Sounds fine as is. Work a bit more on post recording adjustments - e.g. where to apply high pass filter, possibly some other equalization tweaks, best reverb sound you can get, etc..
There is a trace of recording gear self noise but not enough to really create a problem.
Thank you - the Oktava I borrowed was making a bit of noise which did make it on to the recording and there's a few low end thumps from doors being opened and closed next door too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Wow Jack!

Nice song, great dynamics, and flows very well…

Now what was your question, again?

Heheh, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
Ben - the Beyerdynamic 930s are superb mics for the price. I use mine as a stereo pair but have experimented with using them mid side with a large condenser like your Rode. Very interesting this and might work for solo pieces.

If you decide to go down this route these mics are very natural sounding to my ears and are good on just about anything.
Hi Andy - saw your video on the other forum and that turned me on to the beyerdynamics. My thinking is, for the sort of music I'm doing, those in an xy with a clean recording would be a good place to start from...