View Single Post
Old 10-03-2022, 04:18 PM

In 1971, I grew a moustache in basic training in the army…that was allowed and it was the beginning of my facial hair adventure. I thought it made me appear more manly.
After the service, I kept the moustache which evolved into a Geraldo Rivera-style deal, or so I was told . I kept that for a few years and only once did I shave it.
When I did, upon seeing me , my wife and daughter laughed at me. I quickly grew it back.
Around 1975, I grew a full, dark brown beard. It looked dang good. My wife and I took a vacation trip to Jamaica where my full thick beard caused me to be held in high esteem by the Jamaican men. They informed me that my awesome beard was an indication of supreme masculinity and power. That worked for me.
As the years went by, the hair on my head disappeared so I shaved it but kept the beard. I was often called one of the “Smith Brothers” …you know the guys on the cough drops box.
As time has gone on, I vacillate back and forth from a full beard to a moderate goatee, to an outrageous goatee. The facial hair remains.
It’s the chin I never got from my heredity and I need it.

Besides, I hate shaving.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster