View Single Post
Old 05-22-2022, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Hi Folks,

Been playing guitar (amateur) for many years and recently stumbled into the realization that I have been pressing too hard when fretting chords (especially barre chords). With the normal aches and pains of age I am always seeking to alter my playing techniques to minimize strain on my hands, wrist, fingers and thumb. Reduced gauge strings help, but often with corresponding tonal changes. Similarly, experimenting with different string brands and materials, round cores, etc. makes a difference. But simply altering how much pressure I apply when fretting seems to allow me to use all kinds of strings, without sacrificing the tones I prefer. And I love my barre chords (especially those major 7th's)

Anyway, I wanted to share and was wondering if others have had similar experiences. Also, got me wondering if pressing too hard is a common thing, and techniques folks have used to soften their playing touch.

Happy strumming my friends !
How do you know you are pressing too hard? Just aches and pains? There is a range of what is normal pressure. Are notes going sharper than when you consciously play with extra light touch.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above