View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan51 View Post
For fingerstyle guitar this means making smooth chord changes and keeping the notes ringing as long as possible before moving to the next chord. Practice this slowly at first and gradually build up speed. Mastering legato will greatly enhance the sound of your playing.
This entire post contains excellent advice. I am about four months into my fingerstyle journey, and take weekly lessons. The path has focused on "on the job" training, if you will pardon the pun. Started with Freight Train, then Angie, Keep it Clean, Deep River Blues, Bicycle Built for Two (in three) and Baby, Please Don't Go. Teacher plays it. Then we work on it together. After the lesson he sends a vid of the portion we worked on, as well as tabs. Having the tabs are very helpful.
I highlighted the above portion, which I think is excellent advice. Much of what you read about fingerstyle training focuses on the mechanical. Ryan's comments encourage moving beyond note-making to music-making. I will incorporate that into my own work.Good luck on your journey. It ain't easy. But it is fulfulling.
David