Thread: mellow strings?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 06:16 PM

I've always thought Retros sounded great on RainSongs (previous Shorty owner). However, Retros are very "neutral", and while mellow they lack bass. I find they suit my style, but I can see why many wouldn't like them- especially strummers. Silk and Steel are even worse in my opinion. They sound tinny and "thwacky" on carbon fiber, lacking body and substance. The only silk and steel strings I've actually liked are LaBella Mediums. Now those are nice strings- mellow with great projection!

You might try GHS Vintage Bronze. It does seem counter intuitive with 85/15 composition, but I promise you they are nice and mellow while remaining punchy in the bass. You also don't get that weak tinny/ thwacky sound that you get with S&S. I suspect it is because they are stronger and have more tension, thus drive the top better.

Nothing has life like you get with Retros, but I've gotten a couple months out of a set of Vintage Bronze making sure to wipe them down and keeping my hands clean before playing. At $8 a set I feel confident recommending you try them.