View Single Post
Old 01-01-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
I have used both. After going down just about every rabbit hole in Pick-Up Land (although I have not tried the James May system) and more electronic enhancers than I can even remember, I keep coming back to the K&K, which I've used in at least three dozen guitars over the last 10 or so years (multiple Martins of various sizes and materials, Taylors, Gibsons, Larivee's, others....). BUT, it became quickly obvious years ago that while the sound of the K&K is passable when run direct into an amp or PA, using a pre-amp is (IMO) vital to get the best possible sound, and yes, I am one of those who is probably MUCH to critical of what I hear. More than once I have left a venue with some guy wailing away on some poor defenseless Takamine plugged into a crappy PA.

Over the 10+ years I've been using K&K-equipped guitars I tried many pre-amps. The one made by K&K is just too harsh to my ears but I do still use one on occasion because I play lots of outdoor gigs in the summer.....beach weddings are a big thing here on Cape Cod. Used a Red Eye too for many years; better than the K&K pre-amp but still not *quite* the natural smooth sound I was seeking. There were various Baggs boxes that came and went and others I can't recall.

Then I bit the expensive bullet and bought a Grace Alix. Wow. It took me a while to dial in the sound I was seeking but finally found it: clear, clean treble end and mids, no more of the boomy bass that is something that must be dealt with using a K&K, rugged as a tank. Unless there is no power available, I cannot imagine performing without it!!

FWIW, I use a pair of Bose S1 Pro's and play a Bourgeois OM, Martin M-36, and a Martin Custom Shop Seth Avett D-35. These are all rosewood bodies but my most recent mahogany guitar (recent Martin D-18) also sounded fantastic with a K&K and the electronics listed above.

Yes, the Grace Alix is expensive. Yes, it requires AC power. And yes, there is a bit of a learning curve. But for me anyway, it is so, so worth it. At my regular cafe gig I get compliments but about every week from listeners and other musicians on the quality/fidelity of the sound. If there is any way for you to try out your guitar with an Alix, I strongly urge you to do it! Or even buy one from a place like Sweetwater who has a no questions asked 30-day return policy.

Good luck! Those rabbit holes can be very, very deep.....

Gene
Hi Gene,

So I got myself an Alix Now I have a BiX and an Alix. To my ears, acoustically the difference is very small, but Alix does offer more flexibility when it comes to dialling the bass and getting rid of feedback.

I need to spend more time with it to really see how I can further tweak it. I like the variable impedance switch as well.

Quick follow up question regarding further pedals: what reverb and compressor pedals do you use, if any? Actually, what other pedals do you use in combo with Alix?

Many thanks in advance!