Thread: Cargo revisited
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2021, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Cargo revisited

Since there was a recent thread about Peavey and CA Guitars production, I was motivated to dig out one of my Cargos and give it a spin.

I put a new set of D'Addario EJ-1 strings on it. These are the strings I have always used on my Cargos. I was again surprised at how these guitars sound. A big, deep (but not muffled or muddy) sound and the depth of this guitar is only half that of the McPherson Touring.

One thing I like better about the Cargo over the Touring is that the string spacing is wider at the saddle on the Cargo, making it a bit more fingerstyle friendly.

I must say that there is just a certain "something" about the Cargo that no other guitar I have has. It is almost like a favorite pet. You kind of curl around it when playing. It is just such a weirdly unique looking instrument, very different from anything else.

Though similar in size to the McPherson Touring, it really is its own instrument with a different playing experience. I have said here in other threads that the Touring is what the Cargo would have been if it had been allowed to fully mature. Now, I am not so sure about that. It really is its own thing.

I just checked on reverb.com and saw one for $1450 and another for $1750. I doubt that I will want to sell any of mine any time soon.

So, Cargo owners (whoever is remaining after all these years), jump in with your Cargo thoughts.

Here is a video of Rolly Brown playing "Dancing On the Ceiling" on his Cargo:

Tony