View Single Post
Old 01-30-2021, 10:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Wow - that's with no finish or even solvent on top? Who is your supplier for bloodwood?

Mark - how are you cutting your inlay recesses by hand and flattening their floors?
I large Bloodwood board years ago from Willard Brothers in Trenton NJ and re-sawed a number of back and side sets.

There is one quick swipe of shellac on there. Sorry, I try to always name what I am showing.

I cut the inlays with a jewelry saw. I routed the pocket with my Foredom. That Bloodwood is just too hard and splintery for me to attempt cutting the pocket and cleaning the floor with my little router plane, at least for now. I'm working on that skill. I currently am cutting and cleaning wider rosette rings by hand but those are in softwoods. I'm working on it and hope to get to the point that I'll take on doing pockets in hardwoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Also - from the wood database:

Workability: Bloodwood is extremely dense, and has a pronounced blunting effect on cutters. The wood tends to be brittle and can splinter easily while being worked. Those persistent enough to bear with the difficulties of working with Bloodwood to the finishing stage are rewarded with an exceptional and lustrous red surface.

Mark -Do you agree with this? The wood looks spectacular

best,

Rick
100% I'd only add that it taps like a top tier tonewood.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright