View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 11:06 AM

All guitars are different and my opinion is regarding my guitar and not any other.

My McCollum reacts to any string change, revealing the character and components of the string. No matter the string composition, the guitar sounds incredibly good. From Monel to PB, there’s complete satisfaction with the sound, with only string preferences to deal with, not rejecting any string based on my guitar have a problem with them. From there, my string choices are based solely on string life as it relates to holding tone and tuning.

I admit being confused by the reports of certain guitars not performing with certain string brands. I don’t think any guitar should be so dependent on string choice, but I understand I’m perhaps in the minority on the subject, at least in forum-land. I don’t remember ever having a face to face discussion with another guitarist about string brands and being told anything like what I’ve read on the forum. Perhaps that’s because it’s easier to delve deeper in written communication and perhaps it’s something else.

Rather than “the strings, or the guitar”, it’s reminds me of “the chicken, or the egg” debate.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat