View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Questions for bufflehead in post #31: What style of playing do you use .38mm picks? I've never used any that thin. Why do you need so many picks? I use .60mm picks mainly for strumming. These are quite thin.
If you play fingerstyle and then switch to a strum without a pick, that's not much different than I'm doing with picks. These are jazz picks, very small, and not much pick surface extends beyond the finger/thumb itself. Just enough, really, to give it a slight extra pluck. And although I'm not a jazz guitarist, I use a fair amount of the jazz "glide" strumming technique, as well as palm muting. In my 30s I was doing a lot of flat picking. In my 60s I've slowed everything down a bit.

The reason I purchase picks in quantity is that I have multiple locations where my guitars hang out. My sailboat, my cabin, my bungalow. I always keep at least one guitar in each location. And there are picks anywhere I might end up playing, as well as in each guitar case or gig bag. It's not that I need that many picks, but when you can buy a 48-pack for $16, I don't really have a need to carry a pick from place to place.

I'd probably need far fewer picks if I were playing with $40 picks.