View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 12:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yes, THAT Dream guitars!

Last week I had a fellow bring in a half back sized piece of BRW about 3/8" thick which was too cupped to be resawn easily by a casually skilled bandsaw operator, and so I rose to the challenge. I was rewarded by being given a nicely matched BRW back which has a serious drying check in just one half of it, nearly the full length. The customer knows I have had good luck ripping such pieces and rejoining them into four piece backs which are virtually undetectable, and that I always disclose it to the financial advantage of the buyer.

Having just demonstrated my re-saw prowess to myself, I decided to take a different path, and attempted to re-saw the good half of the back into one flawless pair. The good half was just a tiny hair under 1/4" thick, and very rough on the outside surfaces requiring some serious cleanup, so the risk of losing the whole thing was high. Needless to say this was successful or I would not be sharing this here. . . or would I?

Here are some pics of the cracked half and the now joined re-sawn half. It cleaned up at .068", which works for me.