View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 11:32 AM

Heavier strings focus the fundamentals. Lighter strings produce more overtones and harmonics. A guitar that is overly bright as Taylors might be, might benefit from a heavier string. However, the lower strings are responsible for a lot of the harmonics produed across the string set. So while you may tame the highs with say 13/17 on the high end, the 56 on the low end might be a mojo killer because it won't transfer harmonics across the string set as a 53 or 54 gauge low E might.

As an anectodal example of this phenomenon, I was testing GHS Signature Bronze strings (gauge chart below). The light gauge strings were too bright and tinny sounding. I could hear it was the upper strings that I didn't like. I replaced the set with a "True medium" gauge. While it tamed the excess highs it lacked the energy that I was expecting. However, leaving the True Medium set on I replaced (solely) the Low E from the light set with the rest of the True Medium set and the entire guitar came back to life and was balanced and sounded quite good; better than any of the complete Light or True Medium sets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GHS_SigBronze_gauge-tension.jpg (17.5 KB, 57 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS