View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I'd expect 900-1000 tops. Retail is 3k, but there were dealers not that long ago selling them at 1600 with minor flaws "new with warranty".

My take is that if he took this kind of care of it, who knows if it's been humidified properly etc - zero feedback seller - a real crapshoot.

It may only pull 800 or so?

If this one were mint/used it would be in the 1500 range.
Here's where I agree with you. As someone who buys beat-up guitars occasionally, I wouldn't look at this one. Zero feedback is a starting point. And while I think a guitar can come to that sort of condition through real use, I've got no evidence at all that THAT is what happened. This could have been in a closet being banged around with the vacuum cleaner. Did he humidify it if necessary? Does he even know enough about guitars to tell me something about playability? And with zero feedback, I've got nothing to go on.

My only point was that there are those of us who do beat the beans out of an instrument using it for real work — traveling, running from place to place, playing outdoors, having to switch instruments very quickly, etc.., It's OK with me that you don't put any marks on your guitars. Really. But I do, and there are legitimate reasons for it. It's not that I am irresponsible, disrespectful, or clueless. It's just that I have a job to do, and the music and the experience at the time are infinitely more important to me than keeping the instrument in mint condition. I believe that answers the question about how a guitar might reach that condition. Just offering a different perspective. YMMV and will.

I see where Chris Thile mods his priceless Loar-era mandolins. A lot of people — especially some collectors over on the Mandolin Cafe — gasp in horror. However, none of those folks likely plays the instruments as well as Chris, and Chris was the one to write the checks for those instruments. They belong to him.

We're all different. It's OK by me.