View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I don't want to come off as anti-scientific :-) A compromise between needing a degree in acoustics before you can do a recording and just randomly trying things is to use simpler software like Room EQ Wizard that simply measures your room and can tell give you some useful info, without getting all theoretical about it. it also helps to at least read a bit about room acoustics before trying things, so you understand the issues - but then what matters most is how it sounds in the end. There is so much good info and demos out there on how you can improve room acoustics - anywhere from total room remodels to setting up a few temporary baffles - that it should be possible to get a good sound with a tiny bit of self-education and some educated trial and error.
you didn't come off as anti-scientific to me, I just think trial and error in recording has a lot of merit. I remember one time watching a guy place fig 8 mic in the corner of a room and sing into it. It sounded great, and it was something that he learned by just trying all the spots in his room, and LISTENING.