View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvas View Post
I'd be very interested in comments from owners of OM and SJ Halcyons...
Just so happens I've got one of each...

I haven't really played a ton of guitars over the years but I've played the usual suspects and also five other Halcyons not including my two.

My OM is Lutz over EIR and my SJ is Lutz over Bubinga. Both have scalloped bracing. I play exclusively fingerstyle with (short) nails and flesh thumb. The OM is a fair bit deeper bodied than a Martin OM and Smokes any Martin or Collings I've ever played for volume and Bass. I've noticed that Ed tends toward deeper bodies than the equivalent Martin design. Both are similar sounding but I would say the SJ has the edge for warmth, response, lushness and sparkle while the OM has the edge on volume and "snap" (crispness?). That's not to say the OM doesn't have those characteristics and vice versa. The Bubinga has more overtone content than the OM.

Every Halcyon I've played has pretty much knocked me over in terms of volume, responsiveness and bass response. Tone is definitely more in the modern, open airy spectrum in the examples I've tried. The opposite of nasally shoebox tone. Even an Adi over Rosewood parlour I got to try was extremely impressive for how loud and full bodied it was. A Lutz over flamed walnut GA takes the win for almost ridiculous volume and bass. More bass than any Martin dread I've tried. Not boomy, muddy bass, but tight rumbling bass that you feel in your chest.

They absolutely get better with age. Both of mine have gotten clearer and a bit louder. The Walnut GA of my friends sounded good new but when I played it again a year or so later it was an absolute beast!