View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 03:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I’m not an advanced player, more intermediate (i had another career take up most of my adult life.) Have been a singer songwriter since my teens and think I have fairly good ear, listening to every nuance on recordings (including things like pick noise and the different tones different materials make). My playing is a mix of strumming and what I'd call "soft picking", with a little finger-pciking thrown in. Tried my first casein pick earlier this year and thought there was a definite quieting of pick "clacking" on strumming. It did feel more silky smooth and individual notes were nicely warmer but still distinct/clear. I'm looking forward to trying out a couple of the thinner caseins now coming out.
Yeah, it's pretty weird and strange stuff, but really sounds different from everything else out there.

For those interested in trying casein without paying an arm and a leg, check out the Clayton NuTones, the Fender TruShells, and, my personal faves, the John Pearse Fast Turtles. All of these are well south of $10 per pick and will give you a taste of this really strange but wonderful material.

scott memmer