View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 10:06 AM

Excellent information. Thank you Richard and Steve. I am fascinated by how flat tops became predominant when arch tops are arguably better for getting a precise color or feel into a musical idea or phrase. I think that was the case at least, but not sure anymore. I still haven't seen a violin in a concert that didn't have a tail piece, so maybe tail piece instruments are superior or we are just stuck in an outmoded way of thinking.

I suspect that the flat top is/was considered easier to create or maintain for a similar sound and that's the reason they are more ubiquitous these days and perhaps also because of stellar musicians such as Andrés Segovia who gave them that early market share boost. Not so sure flat tops are easier to maintain these days and suspect arch tops are still more difficult to create, but are arch tops all that when it comes to performance?

What's a good entry level and/or a high end arch top (or flat top) to begin/continue this journey of finding the ultimate six stringed guitar? I'll consider anything from expected price to name brand so I can settle on a good place to start. I have played a couple of ok arch tops and lots of quality flat tops and am still looking for the holy grail.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?