View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 10:21 AM

I think the responses to date miss the point because the OP added the "what guitar?" request as if it informed the context of his question, when it appears his question really was comprised of 2 parts.

As I understood his question, he wants to know: "If I spend a lot practice time on something with lighter strings/tension than an acoustic, and, perhaps, a narrower fretboard, like an electric, will I find it difficult ("crashing back to earth") when I try to apply barre chords, complicated riffs, etc., to the thicker-stringed, higher-actioned (and, perhaps, wider fretboarded) acoustic guitar?

In my mind and limited experience, the answer is "yes," but you'll adapt to the acoustic with time/effort. The skills won't go away, just be more work to apply, and probably never be as easy as on the electric.

Perhaps in anticipation of that response, and wanting to avoid the re-adjustment period from electric to acoustic, the OP then considers whether s/he should be practicing on an acoustic in the first place, and asks about smaller-sized acoustic candidates, I assume because s/he thinks it'll be quieter in the apartment.

I agree with the poster who said the volume won't be that different from a full-size acoustic. Several recommended the smaller Taylor Baby/Mini guitars. While good choices, their much shorter scale length might be a consideration if your electric is 25.5". That means a significant difference in space between frets. Again, a readjustment process over time, but doable.

In the OP's place, and recognizing acoustics are, for most (save Tommy E and his ilk), never as easy to play as electrics, I'd consider a small-bodied acoustic, with a pickup, with the same (or close) scale length as my electric, then insert one of those rubber Planet Waves soundhole covers (has to be a full-size soundhole, though), or otherwise block the soundhole (painter taped cardboard works, but is unsightly), and run the guitar quietly through the amp.