View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
My CH-WS (not my CH-PA) comes closer to that look. Unidirectional CF fabric has a fiber running 90 degrees off the CF fiber. Otherwise it would just fall apart prior to cure. I think what we are seeing is manufacturing variation that is inherent to that type of material. Ideally RainSong would hold back the more extreme cases for solid color tops. Or maybe ideally they would hold them back for clear tops. Hard to know what to do... Is curly maple defective?
Thanks. Your post encouraged me to take a look for some photos, and I found these comparisons of woven vs. unidirectional carbon fiber fabrics.

Dare I say that with the unidirectional fabric oriented in the right direction, it could look (maybe... perhaps... if I squinted in the right way) wood-like. Of course, that may not be the best orientation for this application.

Asking if curly maple is defective, and bsman's comment that "there are some little individual fibers running across the grain (sort of analogous to bearclaw on spruce)" also encouraged me to think about what I like in a wood top. A nice, even, tight grain is right at the top of the list (and I'm OK with some mild silking), but bear claw is not. Hmm...

Last edited by Long Road Home; 07-12-2018 at 08:31 PM.