View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Default Your Recording Evolution - then and now

Would love to hear about your recording evolution, especially in regards to what you can do now that you could not do then

My first recording machine was a tascam 4 track portastudio. I was a hack then and it many ways I’m still a hack. But as a newbie to guitar being able to record rhythm tracks and practice, record, and listen to my leads was ground breaking for me.

I used the Tascam for years but eventually picked up an Adat 8 track. Once again it’s primary use was for instant gratification and to record band practice.

Eventually DAWs were popping up everywhere but it was not until recently I actually started to record for song documentation and “Product”. I have a lot to learn (mic placement, mixing, room design..etc). I currently use the last Sonar version of Cakewalk platinum. Band labs is now giving it away for free, minus some plugins

Though there are many basics procedures we take for granted now (cut and paste being the most basic) there are relatively new(ish) things that are starting to gain traction. At first they were sketchy but the tech has gotten better.

Don’t use them all to often but 3 things that blow me away are.
1. slowing down, speeding up and stretching audio. The soft were I use (Groove clips in Sonar) still leaves artifacts but still, wow. What do you use with good success.
2. Though i prefer a good take, Pitch correction, especially in polyphonic tracks is impressive.
3. This has been around for a while but being able to upload digital tracks and send them to other musicians, so they can add tracks is ...convenient. And with today’s upload speeds large files are not an issue
What about you? What do u do now that you could not do then, and what do you use to do it.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 05-06-2019 at 01:32 PM.