View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 12:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'm keeping this Zephyr 00 pristine, trying to resist the frequent urge to take her out and play... Don't want to get my grubby paw prints on her... But this morning I just had to have a noodling session. Tuned to Standard for awhile now, I decided to tune down to a couple of my favorite tunings. This guitar excels at DADGAD and DADF#AD with light gauge strings. The 25.5" scale length, a half inch longer than my standard 25" scale on a 00 guitar, keeps the tension right where it needs to be, to provide buttery smooth and supple action, and a really sweet tone. Sweet, overtone-y trebles, a robust midrange, and fat, round, focused bass, all with a very even and balanced progression... This Zephyr has the special sauce! And the setup is low and fast, at .065" at the 13th fret low E, and .050" on the high E. The tone is expansive and three-dimensional sounding.

And with this superb Adirondack top, the best is yet to come. Adi has a long tonal maturation curve, so as this guitar is just going to sound better and better over time.

With a set of Bluegrass gauge strings (medium bottom, light top) you can even tune down to C with this baby.

This Zephyr 00 is going to make someone very happy!