View Single Post
Old 08-20-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
A amusing observation but not completely accurate.

The UK is ideally located in a temperate zone.
However we are subject to weather zones or systems that compete for our attention :

1. The North Atlantic. Weather mainly from the west/south west.

2. Arctic/Scandinavia/Russia - the cold from the north east.

3. The European and African land mass - south and southeast. - Usually hot winds wet or dry,
You may have missed the point I was making somewhat. I was suggesting that people in England do not generally speaking experience significantly life-changing weather events. Sure, when I was growing up in Yorkshire back in the 60s and 70s we'd occasionally have some snowfalls that might briefly interfere with power or keep us from going to work or school for a day. There was a heatwave in the summer of '76 that had people gasping for a while, too, as I remember. But it was very rare for people's lives to be completely turned on their heads through weather.

Here in the US, though, there are wildfires, tornadoes, and hurricanes in certain places that can completely wipe out a person's life and livelihood. Houses get levelled, destroyed and people get killed. Extreme weather events are not just an effect of global warming; they've been going on for ages. What I meant was that global warming may now be giving English people a taste of what it's like to experience an extreme, and neither the infrastructure nor the population is used to it.