View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfs4473 View Post
I'm wondering about the benefits of using a looper to playing live. It would be nice to be able to occasionally set a backing rhythm and play over it (such as looping the main chord progression for "Locomotive Breath" and then playing the flute solo -- with guitar -- over it).

If you do use a looper, which one and how well does it work for you? I'm thinking I want something very simple and reliable.

If not, why not?

Thanks.

Thom

(Geez... seems like I never run out of questions for you all.)
Hi Thom...
When my gigging partner can't make a gig, and I feel like going, I'll sometimes take my Boss RC20-XL.

I've tried the smaller single pedal unit, but it has too many drawbacks for live use. The dual pedal permits starting a loop anywhere in the song, and then stepping on the stop button to 'hold' that section for later when I want to solo (single pedal version cannot do that).

And I can start and stop a loop, then kill it while I continue to play (without restarting it...single pedal version cannot do that).

It also has better control over the input volume and the loop volume (separate controls which can be adjusted on the fly).

The latest version (Boss RC-30) also permits a mic channel to be added to the loop...

I find them simple, intuitive, and fun when not overdone. The audience can begin to wear thin with too many antics. They came to hear me play, not to watch me record and play along.

I'm not at the level of a Phil Keaggy who does amazing wonders with his loopers.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…