View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I think you may have a tough time using headphones for mic placement, Victor. Worth a try, of course. But it never works well for me, too much bleed, and the sound is so different than over speakers that I always end up rejecting the placements I get when I use headphones. You have very loud guitars, and play loud, so you'll have an even harder time knowing if what you hear is really what's being recorded. Even a small acoustic bleed will warp your impressions.

I have a set of drummer's headphones, basically Sony 7506's in a special headphone, incredibly isolating. That part works, but there's such a "cut-off from the world" with them, that I've also had no luck doing mic placement using them.

I just place by trial and error, position, listen, tweak, listen, etc. After having done that for years, I don't much need to anymore, tho, I know where they should go for my guitars and playing.
As always, great points my friend. I am sure that once I listen to it in playback I will have to make tweaks as you said.
However The headphones will tell me stuff like if I am getting too much of the sound hole. It does help me hear if there are Phasing issues. And again helps me right now, with levels.
After I have had time to really play around and become familiar with my new set up, then I am sure I will have to be more critical in playback mode. But for now, until I learn the ropes, I believe they will have some good value.
I was actually quite surprised that those Sennheisers gave reasonable isolation...Or..I just had the level of the headphones up to loud. ha ha...That is the problem with us old rockers. We like it loud. LOL I learned early on, loud causes great problems with mixing.