View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 11:47 PM

Thanks guys! Lots of useful tips here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I much prefer a using a pair of microphones for stereo recording. The sound is fuller, more spacious, and there is more variety of sounds you can get. For solo guitar most every recording artist records with two mikes, sometimes more.

I have used mixed (e.g. LD and SD) mikes or matched mikes and there is no right or wrong with this when the mikes are spaced apart (which is the sound I usually like). When the mikes are close together (e.g. XY or ORTF) two of the same type of mikes is a better idea for frequency response matching and maintaining mono compatibility (the biggest advantage of coincident miking in the first place IMO).

Therefore if you are going own just two mikes you probably want two of the same for more mike placement flexibility. LD or SD mikes both will work as that is a matter of taste however SD mikes are used by most people.

If you are going to mike with the mikes spaced apart a good starting point is to set up your first mike position for the best sound (what you are doing now most likely) and then move the second mike around to a position to add the most improvement to that. Monitor with headphones while doing this.

There is a ton of stuff about this on the internet (google "recording an acoustic guitar"). The above is a short sketch of how I have approached it. Keep experimenting.

I have been researching this stuff, and recording for quite sometime now. I find most stuff on the internet's either way too simple, or way too advanced. So I really appreciate informative responses on this forum!

My C01U is a large diaphragm condenser, it gives a nice warm sound that I like. I recently heard my friend's recording on a Rode NT4, and while it's lacking in the warmth that I like, it does have very nice and clear highs. Also with it being stereo, it has a great full sound.

I recently met a friend with another C01U and I'm gonna try to get a test going!