View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperry View Post
Wow, I've really got to keep an open mind when disassembling these instruments. I could imagine myself prying one way when it is supposed to go the other. The one I pictured is now 40 miles away, but the next one I get might stay for a few years.

Thanks for linking your old post. I'd have thanked you there, but hate being the one to "bring up" an older post.
I can't take credit for figuring it out - I ran into an old picture posted by Jeff Suits (he is a member here) on another forum long ago that gave me the guidance on what not to do. I think I asked Jeff about it later and he didn't remember the job, so I was on my own!

If you run into another '70s Japanese laminated guitar, do consider hanging onto it. My Conn is very lightly constructed - every strum gets the whole body and neck vibrating. Due in part to that light construction, however, mine had a small belly between the bridge and soundhole, and a growing hump between the bridge and tail, but a Bridge Doctor put that right, and added some extra tone, as well. Sounds great, plays great. I wouldn't change a thing, and I expect to have it for the foreseeable future, something I can't say about most of the (way too many) other guitars I have.

As for the "zombie thread" issue, I've never understood why it's an issue. The things we're talking about come up time and time again. Nothing wrong with adding to an old thread to avoid that loss of collected knowledge. If I hadn't found Jeff Suits old thread, I'd not have known how to proceed on my Conn. Old threads, like most old people, have value.