View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 02:54 PM

Default Doerr Guitars four Sterling Series build thread

This build thread is going to document four Sterling Series guitars that I'm building in my current batch. For those of you who aren't familiar with my Sterling Series here's a quick rundown on how I do things.

I have three different series that I offer on my website http://www.doerrguitars.com. My Standard, Signature and Sterling Series. Each series progressively has more features and higher grades of woods. Let's get into the details of what my Sterling Series is all about.

All three of my series come standard with Brazilian rosewood in my base price. I have a nice stash of stumpwood and old growth Brazilian rosewood. I've reserved my best quartersawn straight grain or just rare wild figured stumpwood for my Sterling Series.

One of the distinctive details on my Sterling Series is that all the purflings are made out of pure silver. Being that silver is a precious metal it's much more expensive than wood purflings. It's also much harder to work with than the typical wood purflings. I do think it is well worth the extra money and effort as it is just a beautiful subtle look on the guitar that I really enjoy. Here are some examples.

The Sterling Series also offers a lot of the details that are on my Signature Series such as beveled binding, Ryan-Style bevel, and multi-piece laminated neck. I also have multi fine silver purflings on my headstock, fretboard and bridge. Here are some examples.

My Signature Series backplate that I've been doing ever since I started building guitars is also upgraded on the Sterling Series. I have two bookmatched pieces of Brazilian that I put on each side of my neck laminations. I then bind them in ebony with multi fine silver purflings. I also use nickel silver Rodger tuners on every Sterling Series.

That kind of gives you the rundown of what my Sterling Series is all about. In this build thread I'll get into greater detail of each Sterling feature as I build this batch. I'll also give more details of the 4 guitars I'll be working on in later post. I'm looking forward to sharing this with you all. Thanks for looking!