View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Stringer View Post
I am having trouble remembering anything I learn about this. When I listen to my teacher talk about theory for more than three minutes it turns to blah, blah, blah. Is there an easy way to learn and remember this stuff? Then the application of it. I understand that keys have certain chords that "go together" within those chords they have notes of a certain scale, and then there are the modes arggghhhhhhhhh. hmmmmmmmm I'm lost.
Hi 12S...
If I didn't cook, all recipes would start to look alike I'm afraid.

Unless you are putting the theory you are learning to work, or at least doing exercises to make it stick to the brain, it will be difficult.

I had a student who needed such an assignment so I gave him the task of figuring out and memorizing them in the five easy guitar keys (C-A-G-E & D)

He brought me the following chart (he made one mistake in it which I wish he had corrected before sending me the chart). I bet you can find it.

Common Chord Progressions - click

The progressions are designed to be played one bar per chord and repeated till your wife or friends scream ''Can't you play anything else'' then you switch lines or progressions. Anyway, they tie scale degree to the corresponding chord in the key, and progressions derived from them.

You are welcome to download and practice it too...and it may help you to apply a bit-o-theory. It's like slice and bake cookies not tiramisu but it's good to know.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…