View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 03:08 PM

I'm still a dinosaur stuck firmly in the paper binder mode. My wife uses a large iPad with ForScore and GoodReader as PDF apps for her flute music notation - and loves it. When she upgrades her iPad, I will no doubt inherit that one and convert over my songbooks at that time. Everything is on my computer and most of it is PDF already, plus formatted on the page just the way that I like. I resisted until the big iPad came out that could display a full 8½ x 11 page at a time (or close enough). Anything smaller is too little for my aging eyes to read.

As it stands now I have four different 1½" thick binders targeted at different uses, assembled over many years. There is a binder for holiday music, another for luau and Hawaiian music, my primary songbook, and a catch-all binder. I have memorized about 300 or so regularly played songs. I previously used vinyl sheet holders, but a couple of years ago reprinted everything double sided and without the vinyl page thingies. That cut a 3" binder down to about 1" thick right there, and cut the weight in half.

The only drawback I've seen when looking onto someone else's iPad at a jam is glare and reflections. That would not be a problem for my own, as it would be positioned for me. But sometimes I end up looking on to someone else's device.