View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Sophie's Choice...

Our home in the Tropical Tip would be considered compact by most standards. When we built it, it was our vacation home, and as large as allowed by our HOA. In that small home, I have a guitar room. It used to be my wife's office, but we have been retired for over a decade, so who needs an office... she insisted that we make it a guitar room. Room for the Bose L1c, a couple small amps, and some guitars hanging on the wall. She picked out a "listening chair," I have an office chair with one arm removed that is my playing chair.

Now, back to "the guitars hanging on the wall"... it seems I have a couple too many guitars for the available space. Yeah, I know: we all have issues to deal with. I already had the GSmini in a closet. An absolutely gorgeous Emerald X20 Custom presented itself while we were out and about this winter, and I snapped it up. That means another guitar is going to go in the closet.

But... which?

I have been deliberately dragging my feet with the guitar room since we got home a couple weeks ago. That meant the two Emeralds have been in their cases (and kinda in the way) in that room. I'd pick one off the wall, then get out an Emerald. Repeat.

Today, I needed to get those cases out of the way. No way either of those Emeralds are going in the closet. This is like one of those reality shows... there are 3 guitars, but only two spots available. I played each. A Taylor 814, a Taylor 522ce 12-fret, and a RainSong Shorty. There is also a Taylor T5 that gets a place on the wall, because it is "my wife's guitar" (no, she doesn't play, but that is another story). It came down to the Shorty and the 522... sorry, Shorty.

I put cases away. So, the guitar room is back to user-friendly status, and the Emeralds can get playing time without fussing with a case (or gig bag, as the case may be).

Which led me to messing about with picks... and more choices.