View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
bho, great stuff. My take is that Dunlop might possibly have gone to an Ultem manufacturer and did some testing and ultimately changed the Ultem formulation for some of their Primetone. I have no inside info, so this is just a hunch.

I WILL tell you something interesting, though. I discovered recently that the tonal qualities of a pick material are altered by doing nothing more but adding a coloring agent to change the cosmetics of the pick. True story. The same material, the same formulation, the same extrusion method -- add a different color and the pick sounds different. So, who knows, maybe it's just the dye they use.

scott memmer
Reminds me of slot car racing days. The important rear tires used were a foam rubber stuff, but the word was the using black dye made the rubber less stiff or reduced their traction, so instead of black tires that looked like real car tires, the little doughnuts were usually a light color.

The mystery of the translucent raised grip vs opaque smooth face Primetone picks continues....

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....