View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 11:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
I posted this on a different Primetone pick thread but thought that folks over here might be interested, so cutting and pasting:

I have many different thicknesses and shapes of Dunlop Ultex picks. While I agree they are excellent picks, they don't appear to be the same material as the Dunlop Primetone triangle, and they don't sound the same to my ears.

There are, however, a couple of Dunlop Primetone picks that are made out the exact same material, and with raised surfaces for gripping, yet thinner. These are the Primetone “Animals As Leaders” picks. Though they are not large triangle shaped, they are similar in all other respects and have a gauge of .73mm. I love them.
bho, great stuff. My take is that Dunlop might possibly have gone to an Ultem manufacturer and did some testing and ultimately changed the Ultem formulation for some of their Primetone. I have no inside info, so this is just a hunch.

I WILL tell you something interesting, though. I discovered recently that the tonal qualities of a pick material are altered by doing nothing more but adding a coloring agent to change the cosmetics of the pick. True story. The same material, the same formulation, the same extrusion method -- add a different color and the pick sounds different. So, who knows, maybe it's just the dye they use.

scott memmer