Thread: My Gibson L5s
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Sweet guitars - sorry I didn't score one back in the day...
I couldn't afford one back in the day But then, about 6 - 7 year ago, I went on the hunt for one. It took about 5 years to find one that had the features I wanted. And what I wanted was: decent weight (most are boat anchors but occasionally you can find one in the low 9lb range), minimal fret wear, L5 tailpiece, and strong output on the pickups, as you can't get these tarback pickups rewound, and nobody makes a replacement for them that I know of. I found my first one about 2 years ago in Canada and it is FANTASTIC, as in. it's maybe the best condition L5s in the world, it looks brand new (even the case looks brand new as it came with a cover)!!!!

But the strangest thing happened, I found this one two weeks later, and between the two, I like the tone of this one slightly better. Although it's in great shape, it's not as mint as the first one, so I don't mind taking this one out as much to play. I would never play it in a bar but it's fine taking it to the stage of my house gig. The downside it's a bit heavier so I need a padded strap with this one.