View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 03:40 PM

Default Just Received my new Bashkin Placencia OM

Somewhere around late 2006 I managed to squirrel enough dough and put an order for a Bashkin guitar. Ive always admired their clean lines and look and loved to sound that they produce. Mind you, Ive never actually held one - everything I know is from 2nd hand experience on fora such as AGF and 13th Fret. Big risk you might say, but it is definitely worth the 'gamble'.

A lot has happened since 2006 - personal situations changed, I moved countries and my musical tastes and wants and priorities have also changed. Funnily enough because I was in such a transitional phase, I hadnt realised that Michael was trying to contact me on my old email that no longer existed (this was in 2008)... But you have to give it to the guy, he perservered and I finally got the message to me from the unlikeliest of ways - he left a message on a website I was running at this time for my photography work (random eh?).

As it turns out I was a little cash strapped when he's good to go and so we agreed to postpone the build for awhile. Finally in Sept 2009, the moon and stars were aligned and the build was on the way.

I cannot begin to tell you how exciting the journey was. Although part of me wanted to micro manage every last aspect of what was used and where and why, I mainly choose the top (Italian spruce) and back/side woods (amazon rw), explained to Michael my kind of aesthetic preference (minimal bling) and let him work his magic. Not to overplay this point but you have to appreciate how difficult this was! Not only have I been looking forward to seeing this guitar born for the last 3 or so year, this is also the single biggest musical purchase Ive made to date - by a very long shot. However, common sense prevailed and I let the master worked his magic. And this is the result.

Pics below are from Michael.

I just love how the sapwood makes it look like the top is 'dripping' down the sides. The binding and detail just has to be looked at up close to really appreciate.

It plays very well. I wasnt entirely sure how id take to the fan frets, but it was a seamless transition. if anything it made playing it much easier. I was going back and forth between the Bashkin and a Bourgeois JOMC (sitka/IR) and the Bashkin just plays much easier and mroe comfortable - could be because of the smaller body size as well.

The tone - it is not as loud as the JOMC - which I expected (it does have a K&K pickup in it). What struck me the most when I hit the strings is how complex the timbre of the notes are, and how incredibly resonant the guitar is. THe best way I can describe tone is that is sounds a lot creamier compared to the Bourgeois- which i find to be more brash/punchy and clinical. The Bashkin has a slower drop off - notes linger around considerably longer.

The one problem Ive always had with the Bourgeois is that it doesnt like to be played soft/ gentle. The Bashkin I find excels in this.

Note: Ive not recorded the Bashkin and this is my take from the player's perspective. It might sound completely different when you're sitting opposite me eg projection could/should be better forward and upwards.

Im still well and truly in the honeymoon phase, but all in all, I am very pleased with the guitar. Money well spent, and I would do it all again. Thank you Michael for a wonderful instrument.

Cheers,
Kelvin