View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
There are guitars of the same name(000-15) being made today but they're built differently. Just like Martin still makes a guitar called the "D-28" but it's very different than a 1935 D-28. You can't expect to know how a 1930's 000-15 sounded when it was new by going out and playing a 2009 000-15.
Hi jeremy...
You may be right, they may bear different model numbers. The ones I've played are - all-mahogany-bodied - small bodied - 14 fret Martins built in the late 1930s to mid-40s. My assignment of 000 is likely wrong, as they told me the model, and I seem to have it confused (or they do).

I'll be going to guitar society this week and if either guy is there, I'll ask for the exact model. Those older guitars are still a far different sound/feel than any currently built all mahogany small bodied, 14 fret Martin I've played in the past few years.

If some here are correct, and they actually sounded like they do now when they were new, and indeed have not aged/opened up, then Martin has made some serious mistakes in the past few decades and should go back to building instruments like the 50-90 year old Martin guitars I've been fortunate to play.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…