View Single Post
Old 07-09-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

Buying a Fibertone does seem a lot of money to spend on a "campfire" archtop guitar! When you could pick up a Godin 5th Avenue or vintage catalogue archtop for a tenth of the price - and I have to say that, acoustically, they would probably do a better job for the type of repertoire you are going to be playing and singing at a campfire.

The Fibertone in the clip above doesn't sound particularly loud, warm or woody (reverb added and the mic is quite hot judging by the amount of background noise it is picking up). But perhaps I am missing something?
Don't know if you read the archtop.com postings regularly (I do), but that's merely one of Joe Vinikow's attempts at tongue-in-cheek humor (he's no Stan Jay in that department - and in my extensive personal experience nobody was) to emphasize the guitar's durability under adverse conditions, and I suspect something was lost in the translation...

As far as the miking/reverb is concerned, I can tell you from personal experience with my own Rainsong jumbos that CF guitars can sometimes be temperamental in that respect - as I discovered on a gig with a run-of-the-mill Shure SM57 - so I wouldn't necessarily use that video clip as my criterion. By the same token Joe eats/sleeps/lives/breathes archtop guitars, so when he describes the Fibertone's voice as being clear, focused, and loud I'd be inclined to favor his evaluation...