Thread: Neck shave
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2023, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Marciero,
Whatever you do, make sure that the carving takes place while it is strung, and you keep playing it, handing it back & forth to the luthier.

Whatever 'differences' you've felt with other guitars has really NOTHING to do with THIS particular guitar. The human body is FAR more sensitive than the logical mind can fathom, and if you try to transfer traits of one guitar type/shape/size to another, you may be greatly disappointed.

When Woody Mann was alive, he'd had another guitar built by John Monteleone. He took it home to live with it a bit, and then brought it back to John to re-carve the neck, while it was strung, passed back & forth, until it felt right.

Like many of us, Woody was incredibly sensitive to the smallest differences.

I've lost count of how many threads & posts by forum members prove, unequivocally, that advising a bunch of numbers & specs do NOT a perfect feel/sound make.... but still they keep on trying.

It's probably an attempt to avoid making a mistake, but frankly a mistake teaches far more than any 10 page thread could ever teach.

Your hands, your ears, your guitar.

Best,
Howard Emerson
Howard, that's great advice. I'm always bemused by 'correct' figures, particularly when it comes to the action on a guitar. The only truth is how it feels when we play. I don't even know the width of my fingerboards other than they all feel slightly different, as my neck carves do, but all within tolerance.
Keith